Peter Schweizer has said the release of two Huawei executives back to China is proof of a conflict of interest for President Biden, and is a “strategic retreat”.
“There’s no question those conflicts exist. Joe Biden himself, two of his family members, his son, Hunter Biden — of course — and his brother, James Biden, have received millions of dollars from politically connected Chinese interests,” Schweizer said during an appearance on Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo.
“[T]here’s plenty of evidence to support that Hunter Biden was paying Joe Biden’s bills,” Schweizer said. “We know that there were contractors that were working on Joe’s private residence in Delaware while he was vice president, and Hunter and his business associates were handling the payment of those bills.”
“We know there were things like a private phone or several phones that Joe Biden had while he was vice president,” Schweizer continued. “The bill was three hundred plus dollars a month that was being paid by Hunter’s business. So we know at least tens of thousands of dollars of bills. Thus far. We’ve been paid and this is illegal. You cannot subsidize a family member in politics by paying their bills.”
Trump’s policy on dealing with Xi Jinping ’s China has seen Chinese tech firms placed on an “entry list”. This has stopped US firms doing business with these Chinese firms, and thus hampering their ability to advance Chinese development of AI and machine learning.
However, Trump is keen to strike a trade deal before the next election. This could see him remove Huawei from the entry list, as part of a future deal. This could prove disastrous to the US economy long term.
The next fight is over who controls 5G technology. If Trump holds his nerve US companies have the technology to control the market. However is Huawei accesses US technology they could control the market.
The Chinese telecoms giant and 70 of its affiliates have been placed on an “Entity List”. The list bans companies from acquiring US technologies without the government’s approval.
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the President backed the move saying, it was to “prevent American technology from being used by foreign owned entities in ways that potentially undermine U.S. national security or foreign policy interests.”
Earlier in the day the President signed an executive order banning US companies from using telecommunications technology from firms deemed to pose an national security risk.